Sunday, June 13, 2010

Crayon Birthday Cake

Man, I've been so busy with projects, I haven't had time to put them on here!! I need to finish up what I did with my son's birthday, and then I'll start showing my other schtuff.

Here's the crayon birthday cake I made for my little budding artist. This was a fun and simple cake to do. Gotta love those!

6 Comments from you:

Crystal said...

You done a great job. Think I might do this for my daughter's 5th birthday.

Unknown said...

Cute!

Anonymous said...

What size cake pan and how many boxes of cake did you use for the crayon cake? Also, did you make it a double layerd cake? Thanks.

Melinda Ford said...

Thanks for your questions...this was only cake mix in a 9x13 cake pan. I froze it, cut it in half, and layered it. Then I cut one tip of the cake and did a crumb coating, then layered with second frosting layer - so simple!

Anonymous said...

How tall is this? What kind of frosting/icing did you use? It looks so smooth but not fondant type smooth.

My son is about to turn 4 and has requested a crayon birthday cake. This looks like a possibility. Thanks!

Melinda Ford said...

I'm not quite sure how tall it is. Maybe 5-6 inches? I might have made my own buttercream, but for this cake I think it would be okay even just to use frosting from the can if that's your thing. I don't typically like to use that, but these decorations are very simple and don't require a lot of height.