Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken

This is one of my husband's favorite recipes that I make.  I smushed two recipes together to get the taste and the texture that I wanted.  It's not deep fried, so it's way better for you than the Chinese take-out version...but it's also not crispy.  It does have a lot of good taste though!  Enjoy.

2 chicken breasts, cubed
corn starch
accent & garlic powder
beaten egg

Sauce:
1/2 c sugar
1 Tbsp soy
1/2 c vinegar
1/2 c water
1 tsp salt
1/4 c ketchup

Sprinkle chicken pieces with accent and garlic powder; then dip in corn starch.  Dip in beaten egg and fry until brown (I just use Pam to spray the pan...no oil needed).  Meanwhile, beat ingredients for sauce and pour over chicken pieces after browned.  Simmer for 1/2 hour.  During the last couple minutes, add pineapple.  Can also add green peppers, onion, and julienned carrots if desired about halfway through cooking time.  Serve over rice.

2 Comments from you:

kiddle97 said...

Like I said earlier, good thing I already ate dinner so I'm not making a mad dash to the grocery store right now. That looks divine. Brent and I adore sweet and sour chicken. Ah yum.

Aurora Scraps & More said...

I made this recipe for supper last night and everyone loved it! I think it'll become a favorite in my family! Thank you for sharing.