Thursday, September 10, 2009

Freebie Cut File - Week #17


Round box!

I was looking on the internet a few weeks ago for different kinds of boxes, and as I was looking, I thought, "Why are there no templates for something that looks like a hat box?" I wondered why nobody has made these? And then I decided to start designing one and realized why it was that no one was doing it. It was stinking harder than a square or rectangle box! I think it took me three times cutting it before I got it right. What a waste!

You'll probably be confused by the .svg I'm putting on here. It's basically just a weird little straight rectangle with smaller squares poking out of it. Let me explain...please hear me out...it really does make sense. OK, here we go. I hope I don't lose anybody!

The svg is actually just the ring that connects to a circle. When you want to make a box, you go to SCAL, and put in a circle shape that is the size that you want it to be wide. For example, I made a 3 inch circle. Import the round box svg.
If you remember, the circumference of a circle is 2 * pie * r, or pie * D. Since I made a 3 inch circle, I multiply 3 * pie. I get 9.42. I need some extra (which I accounted for on the svg) on the end in order to attach the ends together after adhered to the circle. So, I add about 1/2 inch. For the one shown, the svg is sized at 10 inches.

The bottom circle is done the same way. I just made the circle size a little bit smaller than the top, multiplied by pie, added about half an inch. Then you need to add a rectangle the same length as the svg and weld it to the bottom of the svg.
Once cut, score along the bottom of the small squares all the way across the ring svg. Add adhesive to all the little squares and attach to the bottom of the circle. Then adhere more tape to one of the ends to attach the ends of the ring together. This will give you either the top or bottom of the box. Repeat and decorate!

Come to think of it...this would make another fun box for cookies!

Here are the files:
Round Box Ring - .svg
Round Box File - .scut (for those of you who are too lazy to figure out your own sizes! This one ends up being 3 inches wide by 3 inches tall.)

5 Comments from you:

Tina M said...

Love your things! I hope it's ok if I link you on my new blog site :)
http://tfoley55.blogspot.com/

Jilly Bean said...

Wow. :)

Jenny said...

Ooooh CuUUte!!! Hey Melly can family put in their Christmas, and b-day wish list off this blog? ha ha okay, kidding. :)
I know it's just Sept. but I'm looking forward to our Christmas crafty day together!!
I love ya!
(I'm so lucky to have you as my Sis. in law)
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Cricut Freebies Search List, under the Box, Purses, etc. post on Sep. 11, 2009. Thanks again.

Taffy said...

i really love this.. :) I made some ornaments for my friends and this will be perfect! :)

I just need to figure out how to do the bottom.. LOL

again, thanks for your hard work!