Thursday, November 18, 2010

Have your cake pie and eat it cut file too (Free SVG)

We've all seen the individual cake slices and boxes that are so cute together. But cake doesn't go with Thanksgiving...does it? I didn't think so. What does go with Thanksgiving? Well, I'm pretty sure the title gave it away, but you woulda guessed it anyway. PIES! I was introduced to the cutest little individual pie cutters from Williams Sonoma from Judy at work (thanks Jude!). And, of course, they needed their own little boxes to go with them.

Here's a little tutorial on how to make the pies. After you make your own pie crust (the box for this has a recipe for crust that is actually better in this setting than any other fantastic pie crust recipe you have - believe me, I've tried both! The one on the box is the right consistency and dryness so that it doesn't stick to the mold when you cut it out), press the mold onto the rolled out crust like so...


Then simply put a bottom and a top into the mold and put in the apple pie filling you canned when I posted that recipe. What?! You didn't can 32 quarts of apple pie filling to use for things like this? Shame on you. Brush edges with egg wash, and close mold to seal crust together.
Brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Then, bake for about 20 minutes in 400 degree oven.
Enter box.
Lay down some wax paper so you don't ruin the paper box and stick that baby in!

Decorate with some cute ribbon, and, if you're better than me, make a cute tag to go with it to say thanks this Thanksgiving!
As always, here is an svg for you to use in your quest for pie giving.

Free SVG
Octagonal Box with Ribbon and Window - .svg
Octagonal Box with Ribbon - .svg

18 Comments from you:

icraft2create.com said...

Oh those pies look so yummy! Wish I had seen your canning recipe so I could have the filling for these! Thanks for the box cut file!

Melinda Ford said...

Oh, you've got it! It was one of my first posts...

http://stayathomemomcrafts.blogspot.com/2009/04/canned-apple-pie-filling.html

Yeeha!

And, you're welcome!

JustYolie said...

Not only are they cute, they look yummy too...they look perfect in the boxes! Thanks for the freebie! :)

Jilly Bean said...

Individual pies...how cute! And they look delicious!

Maestra Orquestra said...

ADORABLE! Can you share where you found that wonderful mold???

Tracy Martin said...

Yet another great idea! Thanks so much- now I just need to get that pie mold- Thanks!

Bobbi said...

Wow. Awesome looking pies and boxes

Melinda Ford said...

Pie molds are from Williams Sonoma for $9.95...unless you buy two and then they give you a discount. $16.95 for both!

Trisha said...

Great idea for gifting! Thanks, and for the svg's too! Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I love your pie box. I sent a message to my yahoo group telling them to ck your sight out. Thanks for sharing. Tammy

Eleanor said...

Hi there,
Just thought I'd let you know your post is the featured free svg link of the week on Freesvgfiles.com
Thanks,
-Eleanor

tina said...

awesome project ,,there's something on my blog i would like you to have, please come there to accept it
http://thecrippledcricut.blogspot.com/

Shana said...

Awesome box!! And the pies look deliciously yummy. I found your filling recipe. Can't wait to whip some up. Where can I find the recipe for the crust?
Thanks,
Shana

Melinda Ford said...

Great question! I'll post the two recipes I have now.

KathyB said...

Could you possibly tell us what the dimensions should be on this file or what dpi to bring the file in at on Make the Cut? The file comes in huge (bigger than a 12x12 mat) at both 72 dpi and 90 dpi.

Melinda Ford said...

Interesting. I got two comments on the same day about my files going larger on Make the Cut. Unfortunately, I know nothing about Make the Cut, but hopefully with that software, you can just size it down to as large as you can make it on a 12 x 12 paper. Make sure you keep dimensions proportional.

Anonymous said...

This box is great! I'm going to try it with Whoopie Pies at DD's school's next bake sale. Thank you a bunch for sharing the file.

Gail said...

thanx again!!! Baking is going to be so much fun!